|This page is about a gender identity that is not widely used among gender-variant people. This does not mean that the identity is not valid, but that very few people are known to use this term.
More information on uncommon identities...
Aliagender (from Latin alius "other") is a specific nonbinary identity. As described by the person who coined it, Beck, aliagender is “A gender experience which is 'other', or stands apart from existing gender constructs.” As Zoë or Leo later described it, "we defined it then as a gender experience other from the traditional spectrum. I always meant for this to be a term for a specific positive gender that was not associated with the man/woman spectrum, but was a gender that existed and NOT genderless."
|Under the umbrella term||Nonbinary|
Beck, a moderator on the "askanonbinary" Tumblr blog, created the word "aliagender" in response to questions from Zoë or Leo (Tumblr user ZoboTheHob0, formerly ZoboTheHobo), in 2013 or before late January 2014. Zoë or Leo later described this event: "i was there when aliagender was coined. actually, i was the reason it was coined. I sent messages to askanonbinary and beck came up with the word. we defined it then as a gender experience other from the traditional spectrum. I always meant for this to be a term for a specific positive gender that was not associated with the man/woman spectrum, but was a gender that existed and NOT genderless."
Soon after, some Tumblr users began to argue "that aliagender is racist in that it is basically just a whitewashed version of third gender," for no other reason than it was a nonbinary gender. In response, another person coined "aporagender" as an alternative to aliagender, due to concerns that aliagender might be "racist or appropriative." Aliagender was never meant to be a whitewashed version of third gender, and there is no reason to interpret that way. Zoë or Leo clarified that "they did not intend for aliagender to be harmful in any way, and was created to describe an 'othering' concept of gender."
- "Glossary (prod at me through the inbox if you think this list needs to be added to/ altered)." Ask a Non-Binary (blog). December 28, 2013. Last edited December 9, 2018. Retrieved December 23, 2018. https://web.archive.org/web/20181223072932/http://askanonbinary.tumblr.com/post/71388258891/glossary-prod-at-me-through-the-inbox-if-you
- Zoë or Leo. Untitled post. ZoboTheHob0 (personal blog). July 14, 2014. https://zobothehob0.tumblr.com/post/91716663005/epochryphal-throws-up-hands-im-getting-really Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20200720212651/https://zobothehob0.tumblr.com/post/91716663005/epochryphal-throws-up-hands-im-getting-really
- Mod Kellex. Untitled post. Aporagender. November 25, 2014. Retrieved May 21, 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20150521035454/https://aporagender.tumblr.com/post/103598129904/aporagender-vs-aliagender
- "Anonymous said: isn't aporagender just basically aliagender tho?". 10 June 2014. Archived from the original on 11 May 2016.
- Zoë or Leo. "Aporagender vs. Aliagender." ZoboTheHob0 (personal blog). https://web.archive.org/web/20200720212831/https://zobothehob0.tumblr.com/post/103601097145/aporagender-vs-aliagender
- "NB/GQ Survey 2016 - the worldwide results." Gender Census. March 19, 2016. http://gendercensus.tumblr.com/post/141311159050/nbgq-survey-2016-the-worldwide-results
- "Gender Census 2019 - The Worldwide tl;dr." Gender Census (blog). March 31, 2019. Retrieved July 7, 2020. https://gendercensus.com/post/183843963445/gender-census-2019-the-worldwide-tldr Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20200118084451/https://gendercensus.com/post/183843963445/gender-census-2019-the-worldwide-tldr