|This article lacks significant content. You can help the Nonbinary wiki by completing it!
Note to editors: remember to always support the information you proved with external references!
It is often thought that young children are incapable of understanding transgender and nonbinary identities, but this is untrue. Additionally, "No harm is done on an individual or societal level if a child has the option of exploring their gender identity from early on," even if the child later turns out to be cisgender.
In rare cases, parents choose to raise their child without assigning a gender to them, allowing the child to come to their gender identity on their own as they grow up. These children can be known as "theybies" (mixture of the words "they" and "babies"). The concept of raising "theybies" became popularized in the 2010s, especially after media coverage in 2011 of a Canadian couple and their child named Storm.
Different to raising a child as a "theyby" is the concept of gender-neutral parenting, which is the practice of parenting without enforcing gender roles or gender norms. Gender-neutral parenting relies on the idea that a child's sex assigned at birth should not dictate what clothes they are allowed to wear, what toys they are allowed to play with, etc.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Charities and groups that benefit gender variant people
- Coming out
- Gender nonconformity
- Practical resources
- Nonbinary gender in fiction
[edit | edit source]
- Examiner: My Child is Genderqueer: Lou and Jack [Dead link]
- Rethinking Schools: It's Ok to Be Neither - Teaching that supports gender-variant children
- The Tiny Voice of Reason: Growing Up Genderqueer (Wayback archive)
- So Your Child Is Nonbinary: A Guide For Parents
- What it means to be non-binary: A guide for parents
- Explaining Nonbinary: How to Talk to Kids About Gender, by Amber Leventry
- Loving my Agender Child
Further reading[edit | edit source]
- Gonzales, Maya. Gender Now Coloring Book: A Learning Adventure for Children and Adults. Reflection Press, 2010.
- Lucas-Stannard, Paige. Gender Neutral Parenting: Raising Kids with the Freedom to Be Themselves. Verity Publishing, 2013.
References[edit | edit source]
- Transgender Europe. "Overcoming Myths in Legal Gender Recognition Discussions" (PDF). tgeu.org. Retrieved 10 October 2020.
- Compton, Julie (19 July 2018). "'Boy or girl?' Parents raising 'theybies' let kids decide". NBC News. Retrieved 18 April 2021.
- Lucas-Stannard, Paige (8 January 2013). "5 Myths About Gender Neutral Parenting". Everyday Feminism. Retrieved 13 November 2021.