George M. Johnson
George Matthew Johnson is a writer and activist best known for their "memoir-manifesto" titled All Boys Aren't Blue. The book was optioned for a TV series less than two months after its April 28, 2020 release. Johnson has also written articles for outlets such as BuzzFeed, BET, Vice, The Root, Essence, Teen Vogue, and The Advocate.
|Known for||All Boys Aren't Blue|
|«||So "blue" refers to four things. The first is the push back against the gendering of colors. Blue is boy and pink is girl are so outdated. Boys should be whatever color they want and girls should be too, as well as non-binary folks. I'm sure if my parents did a gender reveal in 1985, I would've been blue balloons or smoke or whatever. Clearly I'm not a boy that was blue, LOL. The second reference is to my dad being a cop, which is often referred to as "blue." So we grew up in a "blue" household, which shaped some of the way that we were raised. The third blue is a reference to the character Blue in Queen Sugar. He was a young boy that played with dolls and it was fine until he started getting older, and then the same women and men and figures in his life that protected his childhood innocence then started to question if he was going to possibly be gay because of his need to have this doll and it reminded me so much of me. The fourth and final reference is to the movie Moonlight, which changed the way I think about so many things and the beauty of black boys looking blue in moonlight.||»|
- Johnson, George M. [@IamGMJohnson] (30 July 2020). "My name is George Matthew Johnson I identify as nonbinary & queer Going forward my pronouns are They/them. If you know me, you know I've always been this. I have no expectations that folk will get it overnight bc it took me 34 years. I do expect folks to respect it" – via Twitter. line feed character in
|title=at position 35 (help)
- Terrell, Kellee (28 April 2020). "George M. Johnson's New Memoir Reminds Us That 'All Boys Aren't Blue'". HuffPost. Archived from the original on 17 July 2023. Retrieved 4 October 2020.
- Petski, Denise (10 June 2020). "Gabrielle Union Options 'All Boys Aren't Blue' Memoir For Series Development With Sony TV". Deadline. Archived from the original on 17 July 2023. Retrieved 4 October 2020.
- https://interactives.theroot.com/root-100-2020/george-m-johnson/ Archived on 17 July 2023
- Mayer, Petra (2 May 2020). "'Give Them The Damn Information': Questions For George M. Johnson". NPR.org. Archived from the original on 17 July 2023. Retrieved 4 October 2020.