Alex in 2016 at the Berlin International Literature Festival
|Place of birth||Staten Island, New York, USA|
|Occupation||writer and activist|
Gino is best known for their 2015 debut novel George, a middle grade novel featuring a young transgender girl, which they first began work on in 2003. The working title of the novel was Girl George (a reference to Boy George), though when the book was bought by Scholastic, this was changed to the present title to broaden readership. Gino has expressed some regrets about deadnaming their character with this title, and mentions that if they had the opportunity to do it over, they would have chosen a different title. George was the winner of the 2016 Stonewall Book Award, as well as the 2016 Lambda Literary Award in the category of LGBT Children's/Young Adult.
In 2018, Gino released another middle grade novel, You Don't Know Everything, Jilly P! It covers Deaf culture and the Black Lives Matter movement and received starred reviews from Kirkus Reviews, Publishers Weekly, and the School Library Journal.
Their 2020 novel Rick is a standalone follow-up to George and is about a student coming to terms with his asexuality. The book received starred reviews from Kirkus Reviews, Booklist, and School Library Journal.
Books[edit | edit source]
- George (2015)
- You Don't Know Everything, Jilly P! (2018)
- Rick (2020)
References[edit | edit source]
- Gino, Alex. "About Alex". Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- "Alex Gino Bio". Yallfest.org. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- Hansen, John (9 September 2015). "Alex Gino: 'I knew I was different as a kid'". the Guardian. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- Gino, Alex. "GEORGE".
- Gino, Alex (2015-08-19). "How To Talk About GEORGE".
- ALAnews. (January 12, 2016) "2016 Stonewall Book Awards Announced."
- Federle, Tim (September 11, 2015). "'George,' by Alex Gino". The New York Times.
- Alter, Alexandra (June 6, 2015). "Transgender Children's Books Fill a Void and Break a Taboo". The New York Times.
- "The 2016 Lambda Literary Award Winners". Lambda Literary Foundation.
- "You Don't Know Everything, Jilly P! review". KirkusReviews.com. June 25, 2018. Retrieved 2020-03-17.
- "You Don't Know Everything, Jilly P! review". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2020-03-17.
- Parrott, Kiera (2018-09-01). "You Don't Know Everything, Jilly P! review". SLJ.com. Retrieved 2020-03-17.
- "Rick review". KirkusReviews.com. Retrieved 2020-03-17.
- "Rick review". Booklist.com. Retrieved 2020-03-17. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
- Gafkowitz, Jess (2020-02-01). "Rick review". SLJ.com. Retrieved 2020-03-17.
|This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Alex Gino, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (view authors).|