Translations:Gender-variant identities worldwide/46/en
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Name of identity: Kathoey. Often rendered as "ladyboy" in English.
- Culture: Thailand
- Era: to present
- Description of sex/gender: AMAB and feminine. Not completely synonymous with trans women, gay men, or intersex people.
- Role in society: today, kathoey often have occupations that are usually associated with women, such as in shops, restaurants, and beauty salons, but also in factories (a reflection of Thailand's high proportion of female industrial workers). Kathoey also work in entertainment and tourist centres, in cabarets, and as sex workers.
- Winter S, Udomsak N (2002). Male, Female and Transgender: Stereotypes and Self in Thailand Template:Webarchive. International Journal of Transgenderism. 6,1
- Nemoto, Tooru (2012). "HIV-Related Risk Behaviors among Kathoey (Male-to-Female Transgender) Sex Workers in Bangkok, Thailand". AIDS Care. 24 (2): 210–9. doi:10.1080/09540121.2011.597709. PMC 3242825. PMID 21780964.