|This article is a stub. You can help the Nonbinary wiki by expanding it!
Note to editors: remember to always support the information you proved with external references!
|Place of birth||Oklahoma|
|Gender identity||nonbinary femme|
|Occupation||politician and community organizer|
Mauree Nivek Rajah Salima Turner is an American politician and community organizer. In November 2020, they were elected to the Oklahoma House of Representatives, making them the first publicly nonbinary USA state-level lawmaker and the first Muslim member of the Oklahoma Legislature. Turner got 71.4% of the vote, handily defeating their opponent, Republican Kelly Barlean.
Turner campaigned on issues including criminal justice reform, improving public education, raising the minimum wage, and improving healthcare options.
Links[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Smith, Kelsie (November 5, 2020). "Mauree Turner is the first nonbinary and first Muslim Oklahoma state lawmaker". CNN. Archived from the original on 17 July 2023. Retrieved November 5, 2020.
- @MaureeTurnerOK (November 5, 2020). "That's me! Mauree Turner. Pronouns They & She (not preferred, just pronouns) I am a born n raised Muslim-Oklahoman. Non-binary femme, & community organizer. The work I've been doing with, in, & for my community goes back years" – via Twitter.
- Instagram post, March 1, 2021
- https://www.maureeturner.com/about Archived on 17 July 2023
- Telusma, Blue (November 4, 2020). "Mauree Turner to be 1st non-binary lawmaker in US, 1st Muslim legislator in Oklahoma". TheGrio. Archived from the original on 17 July 2023. Retrieved November 5, 2020.
- https://ballotpedia.org/Mauree_Turner Archived on 17 July 2023
- https://www.maureeturner.com/community-issues Archived on 17 July 2023
|This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Mauree Turner, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (view authors).|