Indya Moore is an American actor and model. They are known for playing the role of Angel Evangelista in the FX television series Pose. Time magazine named the actor one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2019. Moore is transgender and nonbinary, and uses they/them pronouns.
A Bronx native, Indya Moore is of Haitian, Puerto Rican, and Dominican ancestry. At the age of 14, they left their parents' home due to their parents' transphobia, and entered into foster care. They moved around frequently during this time, eventually living in all five boroughs of New York City. After being frequently bullied, Moore dropped out of high school during their sophomore year but eventually earned their General Equivalency Diploma (GED). Moore became a model at the age of 15, and began working shoots for Dior and Gucci, despite the fashion industry's initial treatment of them as a risky choice.
In December 2018, Moore came out as polyamorous.
In May 2019, Moore became the first transgender person to be featured on the cover of the U.S. version of Elle magazine.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
"My choice to identify as nonbinary — though I typically express in femme ways — is to constantly disrupt the notion of the gender construct. Binaries force us into performative expectations that none of us purely live up to, and when we choose to live outside of those expectations we experience violence — trans and gender variant people experience the worst kinds. Gender binaries aren't just harmful to people who are trans and queer, they are harmful to all of us."
References[edit | edit source]
- Jada Yuan, Indya Moore Just Wants to Be Free, May 9, 2019, Elle
- Gollayan, Christian (2018-05-31). "This once-bullied trans actress is now the star of 'Pose'". New York Post. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- Skahill, Madi (2018-07-27). "Inside the Breakout of Indya Moore". WWD. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- WWD, Madi Skahill |. "Indya Moore on her acting career and how she found her way to FX's 'Pose'". latimes.com. Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- Jackman, Josh (December 27, 2018). "Pose star Indya Moore has come out as poly". PinkNews.
- Street, Mikelle (May 9, 2019). "Indya Moore Makes History As First Trans Person to Cover Elle US". Out. Retrieved May 11, 2019.
- Street, Mikelle (December 30, 2019). "Indya Moore Just Debuted as a 'Steven Universe' Character". Out. Retrieved December 30, 2019.
- Gardner, Chris (11 October 2019). "CAA "Gender Jar": Indya Moore Asks Agents to Pay for Using Wrong Pronouns". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
|This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Indya Moore, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (view authors).|