In August 2012 ze was diagnosed with lung cancer.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
"Gender is made up of body, mind, and time; mastering all three is a challenge."
"Not all trans people agree with this nonbinary thing. There are some who do and there are some who don’t. I don’t speak for all transsexuals or all transgender people. Certainly I honor anybody who wants to be a man and do the work of becoming a man. I honor anyone who mindfully becomes a woman. That’s cool. But, I really don’t get how there’s only two choices. There’s no two of anything else in the entire universe; why should there only be two genders? I don’t get it."
Books[edit | edit source]
- Gender Outlaw: On Men, Women, and the Rest of Us (1994)
- Nearly Roadkill: An Infobahn Erotic Adventure (1996); co-authored with Caitlin Sullivan
- My Gender Workbook: How to Become a Real Man, a Real Woman, the Real You, or Something Else Entirely (1997)
- Hello Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks and Other Outlaws (2006); published as Hello, Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Teen Suicide in the UK
- Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation (2010); co-edited with S. Bear Bergman
- A Queer and Present Danger: A Memoir (2012)
[edit | edit source]
- Kate Bornstein's Blog for Teens, Freaks, and Other Outlaws
- Kate Bornstein's Myspace page
- Kate Bornstein on Twitter
- Kate Bornstein's Youtube channel
References[edit | edit source]
- "Welcome!". Kate Bornstein is a Queer and Pleasant Danger. Retrieved 16 May 2020.
- @katebornstein (July 12, 2019). "Over 71 years, I've at one time or another insisted on every pronoun in the book. Finally settled in to it doesn't matter to me what pronouns people use for me—it tells me more about them than it could ever say about me. So thanks for asking, it's up to you" – via Twitter.
- Raymond, Gerard (July 11, 2018). "Interview: Kate Bornstein on Their Broadway Debut in Straight White Men". Slant Magazine. Retrieved May 16, 2020.
- Morgan, Glennisha (March 22, 2013). "Iconic Gender Theorist With Cancer Overwhelmed By Incredible Response To Fundraiser". HuffPost. Retrieved May 16, 2020.
- Instagram post, 29 December 2018
- Pasulka, Nicole (5 May 2012). ""A Queer and Pleasant Danger": Kate Bornstein, Trans Scientology Survivor". Mother Jones. Retrieved 18 June 2020.