G Flip performing in Brighton, England in 2018
|Date of birth||September 22, 1994|
|Place of birth||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
G Flip is an Australian indie-pop musician and producer from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. They released their debut studio album, About Us, on 30 August 2019.
Musical career[edit | edit source]
G Flip been playing drums since the age of nine, and percussion still forms a big part of their songwriting process despite now being a multi-instrumentalist.
They said that they "spent most of 2017 holed up in their bedroom writing and recording"  having previously performed in various different Melbourne music acts as a session drummer and occasional backup vocalist, including for the Melbourne band Empra.
In February 2018 they uploaded their debut single "About You" to Triple J Unearthed and that same day their track was premiered on Triple J. The song was officially released on 2 March 2018. Pitchfork named it "Best New Track"  and the music video, filmed on their iPhone, was featured in YouTube's New Music Playlist. Pining international interest in their project, G Flip was subsequently invited to play their first ever solo show at SXSW in Austin, Texas the following month. Their follow up track "Killing My Time" was released in May 2018.
In December 2018, they performed "Proud Mary" and "Blame It on the Boogie" at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's "The Night is Yours" New Year's Eve Celebration 2018 at the Sydney Opera House, and their song "About You" was featured in Season 2, Episode 10 of The Bold Type.
In January 2019, "About You" polled at number 38 and "Killing My Time" at number 62 in the Triple J Hottest 100, 2018.
In July 2019, G Flip won Breakthrough Independent Artist of the Year at the Australian Independent Record Labels Association (AIR) Awards. Their debut studio album was released on 30 August 2019.
They worked with Ariel Rechtshaid on their track "I Am Not Afraid". Rechtshaid noted to Rolling Stone that "G Flip is a phenomenal musician... [They're] a strong songwriter and [have] a very authentic voice, and [they] are a badass producer.” 
Links[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Morrison-Thiagu, Saskia (13 June 2021). "Aussie Music Legend G Flip Has Come Out As Non-Binary & We're So Flipping Happy For Them". Pedestrian TV. Retrieved 15 July 2021.
- G Flip (13 June 2021). "I'm non-binary mother fuckers!". Retrieved 15 July 2021.
- Crellin, Zac (20 December 2020). "How G Flip's Real, Raw And Relatable Lyrics Ended Up Winning Her A Legion Of Queer Fans". Pedestrian.TV. Retrieved 10 January 2021.
- "Let Us Introduce You To The Song Australia Is Currently Losing Its Shit Over". Junkee. 14 February 2018.
- "Say G'Day To G Flip". Triple J. 20 February 2018.
- Hatfield, Amanda (19 February 2018). "Who is G Flip? Her song "About You" is catchy pop (and she's playing SXSW)". BrooklynVegan. Retrieved 15 July 2021.
- "G Flip - About You Over". Pitchfork.
- "Meet Your 2018 J Award Nominees". Triple J.
- Adams, Cameron (7 December 2018). "Muso G Flip wins ARIA Emerging Artist Scholarship". Herald Sun. Retrieved 15 July 2021.
- ABC TV & iview, The Night is Yours: G Flip - Proud Mary, retrieved 2019-01-02
- "The Bold Type Official Season 2 Music Guide". Freeform. Retrieved 2019-01-02.
- "Hottest 100 Countdown 2018". Triple J. 11 November 2018.
- "Courtney Barnett and Gurrumul share Best Independent Album or EP AIR Award". Noise11. 26 July 2019. Retrieved 26 July 2019.
- Grow, Kory (10 January 2020). "How G Flip Used Pop Music to Conquer Her Fears". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 15 July 2021.
|This article uses material from the Wikipedia article G Flip, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (view authors).|