|This page is about a gender identity that is not widely used among gender-variant people. This does not mean that the identity is not valid, but that very few people are known to use this term.
More information on uncommon identities...
Graygender/greygender (sometimes called gray agender) is defined as:
|«||a person who identifies as (at least partially) outside the gender binary and has a strong natural ambivalence about their gender identity or gender expression. They feel they have a gender(s), as well as a natural inclination or desire to express it, but it's weak and/or somewhat indeterminate/indefinable, or they don’t feel it most of the time, or they’re just not that invested in it. They're not entirely without a gender or gender expression, but they're not entirely "with" it either.||»|
History[edit | edit source]
The term was coined by invernom in March 2014.
On 24 May 2019, the news site "The LGBT Sentinel" included graygender in their article "The Gender Identification Flags You Should Know About For Pride Season!" and described it thusly:
|«||Graygender individuals are gender ambivalent. This means that a person's gender identity and expression is only partially important to them. Graygender individuals feel a weak desire or inclination to express their gender- they are fine not deeply expressing it! Oftentimes graygender people feel that their gender is indeterminate. Those who identify as Graygender don't feel gender most of the time and are not that invested in it. You can view Graygender as a longterm vacation away from gender!||»|
In December 2019, Healthline.com included graygender in the article "64 Terms That Describe Gender Identity and Expression".
|«||A gender term that describes someone who experiences ambivalence about gender identity or expression, and doesn’t fully identify with a binary gender that’s exclusively male or female.||»|
References[edit | edit source]
- Pride-Flags (23 August 2015). "Graygender / Gray Agender". DeviantArt. Retrieved 20 May 2020.
- Gray/greygender by mogai-library, 12 August 2015
- Identifying As “Graygender”/“Greygender”, invernom, 20 March 2014
- Hardell, Ash (17 December 2016). "What is Greygender?". YouTube. Retrieved 19 May 2020.
- "The Gender Identification Flags You Should Know About For Pride Season!". The LGBT Sentinel. 24 May 2019. Retrieved 19 May 2020.
- Abrams, Mere (20 December 2019). "64 Terms That Describe Gender Identity and Expression". Healthline. Retrieved 19 May 2020.