Gender questioning is a gender identity under the transgender umbrella. It is a tentative gender identity label for a person who is in the process of figuring out how to describe and label their gender identity, but has reason to think that they might be transgender. Such people may or may not have shown signs of being gender nonconforming or gender variant. Gender questioning is also a label that can be used by nonbinary people who are still figuring out exactly what kind of nonbinary gender they have.
History[edit | edit source]
"Gender Questioning" was among the 56 genders made available on Facebook in 2014.
Kinds of questioning gender identities[edit | edit source]
- odysseogender. Coined by anonymous. "Where your gender isn’t set in stone right now and you’re on an “odyssey” to find out what it is. Based on the Greek hero, Odysseus."
- perigender. Coined by anonymous. "When you don’t fully know your gender yet, but it becomes more clear to you over time."
References[edit | edit source]
- This quote is a snippet from an answer to the survey conducted in the year 2018. Note for editors: the text of the quote, as well as the name, age and gender identity of its author shouldn't be changed.
- Eve Shapiro, Gender circuits: Bodies and identities in a technological age. Unpaged.
- "Odysseogender." Mogai-Archive. http://mogai-archive.tumblr.com/post/93547393934/odysseogender
- "Perigender." Mogai-Archive. http://mogai-archive.tumblr.com/post/92452325744/perigender