|This page is about a gender identity that is not widely used among gender-variant people. This does not mean that the identity is not valid, but that very few people are known to use this term.
More information on uncommon identities...
|Related identities||Bigender and Multigender|
|Under the umbrella term||Multigender|
Ambonec is a nonbinary gender identity in which a person identifies as both female, male and neither at the same time. Coined by transmalenaoto (nbshadow) in 2014, from Latin ambo "both" + nec "neither". Described by the one who coined it as a nonbinary "gender identity in which you identify as both male and female, yet you also identify as neither, at the same time. You can lean towards any sort of gender expression [...] if you wanted. You can use [any] pronouns if you wanted. You can identify this within bi/tri/qua/etc if you wanted. You can be demi-[ambonec], meaning there could be circumstances where it changes (mood, etc). You do not need dysphoria to identify as [ambonec]." Abbreviation: AN.
Similarly, the word "genderdox," coined by Tumblr user htt in 2014 based on the word "paradox," meaning simultaneously having genders and being genderless.
An anonymous submitter to the Mogai-Archive blog in 2014 also proposed a similar paradoxical gender: oppogender, meaning "when you feel/are two (or more) contradicting or generally ‘opposite’ genders at the same time, such as being simultaneously completely gender-null and another gender. ... alternative names: contrarigender, divergender, discrepantgender."
History[edit | edit source]
In a 2004 issue of the feminist magazine Off Our Backs, a transgender lesbian named Sam Bullington wrote: "I understand myself to be simultaneously and serially both man and woman, as well as neither."
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Reblog of mogai-archive post, 25 August 2014
- nbshadow. http://queerascat.tumblr.com/post/94559591894/nbshadow-introducing-ambonec-an-for-short
- "Terms." Queer Querys (blog). http://queerquerys.tumblr.com/terms
- "Ambonec." Mogai-Archive (blog). 2014. http://mogai-archive.tumblr.com/post/91796206149/ambonec-an-for-short (dead link)
- "Genderdox." Mogai-Archive (blog). 2014. http://mogai-archive.tumblr.com/post/91735540374/genderdox (dead link)
- "Oppogender." Mogai-Archive (blog). 2014. http://mogai-archive.tumblr.com/post/93888807159/oppogender
- Bullington, S. (2004). Transgendered Feminist Body Issues. Off Our Backs, issue 34, p34–36.
|This article is a stub. You can help the Nonbinary wiki by expanding it!
Note to editors: remember to always support the information you proved with external references!